Stephanie Bower


Stephanie Bower | Architectural Illustration: www.stephaniebower.com | Sketching Workshops: www.stephaniebower.com | Sketches: on Instagram at @stephanieabower & http://www.flickr.com/photos/83075812@N07/ | Urban Sketchers Blog Correspondent www.urbansketchers.org | Signature member of the Northwest Watercolor Society

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Streets of Holland


Each summer that I'm teaching in Europe, I visit my family in Holland. I love them and I love visiting them, as the streets are so walkable, such a beautiful scale, and the variety in the brick of the buildings is just remarkable.

I got a little bit of sketching in, despite cold and damp weather. This is continuation of the series sketches of 4 sketches I started doing in Italy, and I ended up doing these in every city I visited this summer as a way to save the paper in my sketchbook... here is the series from Den Haag. My favorite one is the Passage shown above, as the color is just a blush on my pencil drawing. It was tricky to catch both the glass dome and the floor in one view!

The sketchbook is the Pentalic Aqua Journal, fairly new in the 7" x 10" size. I love the size, love the paper as it's true 140lb. watercolor paper. Click on the image to see it larger!






And here is a quick sketch done while enjoying coffee in the Dam of Amsterdam with my aunt and cousin, listening to them talk (in Spanish) while I sketched. Heaven.

This sketch is all about the roof lines that punctuate the sky around the giant, busy plaza...thus the simple yellow sky that emphasizes the roofs.


In ten days I leave for a 3.5 week sketching trip to INDIA! If you are interested in following my adventures, please find me on Instagram @stephanieabower and my photos will be at @stephanieabower.fotos.  I will try to post here as well, just don't usually find it easy to do when traveling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment